Re: [MVlist] Re: [MV] God Save The Queen

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 02:28:29 PDT

Richard Notton schrieb:

> What you all may not know is that tomorrow, Battle of Britain Day (largely
> forgotten), is also the last night of the Proms* - "a rumbustious
> celebration of quintessential Britishness", for the first time in history
> the long established and fixed programme has been altered to encompass works
> of a more appropriate nature in the light of recent events and indeed that
> presently the Chief Conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra is an American.
> (*Promenade Concerts - Sir Henry Wood)

Oh dear! No "Rule Britannia" and no "Pomp and Circumstances"!
What about "Jerusalem"?

I can't understand, that they altered the programme from singing
"Britons never never never will be slaves " and "Land of hope and
glory, Mother of the Free" to "A song of joy" (Beethoven's 9th
symphony). Is this
more appropriate at the moment?

Regards from Germany
Andreas