Re: [MVlist] Re: [MV] God Save The Queen

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 11:32:59 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Mehlhorn" <a.mehlhorn@t-online.de>
To: "Richard Notton" <Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Cc: "MVList" <MVlist@yahoogroups.com>; "Military Vehicles List"
<mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: [MVlist] Re: [MV] God Save The Queen

> Richard Notton schrieb:
>
> > What you all may not know is that tomorrow, Battle of Britain Day
(largely
> > forgotten), is also the last night of the Proms* - "a rumbustious
> > celebration of quintessential Britishness", for the first time in
history
> > the long established and fixed programme has been altered to encompass
works
> > of a more appropriate nature in the light of recent events and indeed
that
> > presently the Chief Conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra is an
American.
> > (*Promenade Concerts - Sir Henry Wood)
>
> Oh dear! No "Rule Britannia" and no "Pomp and Circumstances"!
> What about "Jerusalem"?
>
> I can't understand, that they altered the programme from singing
> "Britons never never never will be slaves " and "Land of hope and
> glory, Mother of the Free" to "A song of joy" (Beethoven's 9th
> symphony). Is this
> more appropriate at the moment?

Apparently so, the official word is:

"Of the traditional final sequence in the second half, Elgar's Pomp and
Circumstance March No. 1, Henry Wood's Fantasia on British Sea-Songs, and
Rule, Britannia! will not be performed. In recognition of the events of
recent days the second half of the concert now includes John Adams's fanfare
Tromba Lontana, Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, Spirituals from Michael
Tippett's A Child of Our Time and the Choral Finale from Beethoven's Ninth
Symphony."

Possibly what the BBC SO and its conductor felt happy with under the
circumstances and minimal rehearsal time. I'm not too hot on this stuff,
unlike Stalwart transfer boxes.

Richard
Southampton - England