[MV]Military Authorization Bill for 2002

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 06:19:54 PDT

Subj: Military Authorization Bill for 2002
Date: 9/19/01 9:16:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From: MVTrucker
To: lobiondo@mail.house.gov

Dear Honorable Congressman LoBiondo:
I will appreciate any attention you can give to defeat Senate Bill 1416,
Section 1062, the Military Authorization Bill for 2002.
As a military vehicle collector and restorer, I often place several of my
Jeeps and trucks in parades, such as Memorial Day and 4th of July. My 1945
Willys MB is
restored to perfection and is copied after the Jeep my father-in-law drove
during WWII. I own several trucks that are of the Korean War era. To cut
these vehicles up in order to meet demill specs would be senseless. They are
historical military vehicles and pose no threat to America.
Senate Bill 1416, Section 1062, the Military Authorization Bill for 2002 is
virtually a mirror image of previously defeated legislation. The section that
has been introduced into the Senate would authorize the Secretary of Defense
to compel "demilitarization" of certain military equipment. This provision is
a rebirth of Section 361 of the old HR4205, defeated last year.
Frankly, there is not now, nor has there ever been, any argument that old
military equipment in the hands of private citizens poses any threat to
anyone. Rather, the provision is just one of those symbolic gestures that
chips away at the essence of American principles for the sake of superficial
political appeal.
Many of these vehicles that would be banned and have to be destroyed are
being used by people to deliver aid to fellow citizens in New York City and
to rally people to blood donation sites as well as other uses.
As proud reminders of our military history at a time when all Americans need
to join together to fight a common foe, these vehicles serve as powerful
tools of a previous time when America came together to defeat those who would
threaten our way of life.
As a registered voter I urge you to work to remove this section from the
final bill.
Sincerely,
Joe Young
Bridgeton, NJ
Member #12311, Military Vehicle Preservation Association