Re: [MV] top speed of an M35

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 07:28:45 PDT

In <list-1297360@skylee.com>, on 09/19/01
   at 10:28 AM, "Joe Garrett" <j.garrett@gte.net> said:

> If you want to go
>faster than 60 mph in an M35A2, you are going to need to change engines.
>There just aren't enough horses under that hood to go any faster. The
>vehicle is well designed for 55 mph, and is capable at 60. Faster than
>that would require another engine.

Cab and chassis only (tractor) would no doubt be easier to push thru the
air than the box-van, for one example. Also, adding an over-direct-under
unit to your Deuce allows you to set the rpm you desire for any given road
speed. Thus you can always be cruising at or near the 'sweet spot' on your
tach. It is not really about extra speed, although being able to operate
at the peak of the power curve will give you 'more speed'. Enabling
cruising at the peak of the torque curve will result in 'more economy'.

If you find that your Deuce is already set up to run in the sweet spot,
then this mod may not be worth the cost and effort. I envision having
various cargo carriers and various towed loads, so the o-d-u box may be a
real necessity.

>There is a company that puts Cummins
>5.9 ltr turbo engines with Allison automatic trannies in these trucks.
>They also have an airbrake upgrade kit. Check them out at www.wheco.com.

>Joe Garrett

Bill

--