Re: [MV] top speed of an M35

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 11:48:29 PDT

In <list-1298504@skylee.com>, on 09/20/01
   at 02:48 PM, "ygmir" <ygmir@onemain.com> said:

>I guess what I'm getting at is that I am told that an engine operates
>most efficiently at the rpm where torque and horsepower curves intersect.
>Can any one add to this theory? Or, am I getting to far afield........
>Henry

That is wrong, and is probably a confusion of the simpler 'truth' that is:

    Maximum fuel efficiency results when the engine is operated at the
peak of its torque curve.

Whether diesel or gas no matter, 4 cycle (2 cycle probably). The main
reason why this simple statement is invariably true is that 'volumetric
efficiency' is maxed at the peak of the torque curve, or the torque curve
IS the volumetric efficiency curve. VE is maxed at a certain rpm due to
gas flow considerations thru the entire engine, and combustion chamber
shape, cam profile, valve shape and timing all contribute to the
flatness-steepness of the torque curve and the location of its peak.

Forget the horsepower curve- it has nothing directly to do with fuel
efficiency/VE.

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com