Re: [MV] LOGSA and Virus Warning (OT, Yes, But Important)...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 23:07:23 PDT

Hi List...

>There are a couple of nasty viruses floating about. Most .mil admins are
>doing psuh installs of new virus software.

There is indeed a VERY bad virus in the wild right now called NIMDA.
It got into our IIS server even through we had all the latest patches
and virus DAT files, and nobody ever works on that machine.

This virus breaks all the rules.

This virus is able to get into a Microsoft web server and lie in wait
for those of you with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook (or
Outlook Express) to visit the site and you will contract the virus
just by visiting the site and you won't even know it.

If you use another browser, when you visit the page it will pop up a
window that says something like "Click here to view the README
file"...if you click it, the virus will launch in your computer and
start emailing itself to others.

This is not a hoax...I've been dealing with eradicating this virus and
learning all about it for the last two days solid.

Right now, before you do ANYTHING ELSE, go get the latest update for
your virus software. Then disconnect your computer from the Internet
and any other computers and make sure you get rid of the virus!

If you use Internet Explorer, be sure to grab the security patches
that prevent this intrusion. There is a link at www.mcaffee.com in
the Anti-Virus section under NIMDA.

www.Antivirus.com has a utility called FIX_NIMDA that you run in DOS
and it will check your whole system.

If you use Outlook for your email, switch to another email client
(Pegasus Mail, Agent, Eudora, anything but Outlook...there are plenty
of other better choices). All of the destructive viruses and worms
that you've heard about on the news only attack Outlook, so (duh)
don't use Outlook.

The LOGSA site went down the same time our server did...the NIMDA
virus exploded onto the Internet on Tuesday. I would say it is nearly
a 100% certainty that LOGSA got hit by NIMDA too.

I'm probably the most careful person in the WORLD about not opening
attachments, keeping virus software up-to-date, following up on
security patches, and all the precautions. Yet somehow my laptop got
this virus despite all my care. If you're not as careful, you will
most certainly catch this virus within a week.

Please heed my warnings so you don't have to rebuild your data like I
had to this week!

If you have any questions at all about this topic, email me off list
and I'll help you as much as I can.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net