RE: [MV] M35A2 Weak Brakes -- Need Suggestions...

From: Joe Garrett (j.garrett@gte.net)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 06:22:44 PDT

Sounds like your air pack is working fine. With it disabled, though, your
brakes should work just as well, but be much harder to apply. The airpack
is simply "power brakes". It does not increase the braking power of the
system. It works exactly like a vacuum booster but uses positive pressure.

The next stop should be to adjust all the brakes at the wheels. Each wheel
has two bolts on the back of the backing plate. They are cams that adjust
the brakeshoe. Jack up each wheel until it turns freely. Start turning the
wheel and turn the adjusting cam nut until the wheel stops turning. Back it
off until the wheel turns without dragging. Do this on both cam nuts. as
each one only controls half the brakes on that wheel. Once you have
adjusted all six wheels, you may have to adjust the brake pedal itself, as
it may be set too tight. Symptoms will be brakes lights that take a long
time to go off, or brakes that stay applied after you release them.

The next stop is to flush the system. If it was my truck, I would
completely flush the system with DOT 3 brake fluid. From your description,
changing the brake fluid is most likely what is needed. (The changing to
DOT 3 is a separate issue based on opinion).

When workign properly, the brakes on an M35 are just as effective as
anythign you will find on a modern pickup truck. You should not be feeling
uncertain of their stopping power. Just because you asked the question, I
would say there is defintiely something wrong.

Let us know how you make out. We don't get a lot of feedback from these 911
calls.

Joe Garrett
cell 425-344-1402