Re: [MV] Nice M38

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 17:01:50 PDT

In a message dated 9/21/01 6:31:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
truks@cs.quik.com writes:

<< The fool wanted $5000 for it and was dead serious... What's with
 jerks like this guys ?? >>

Ah...you have discovered a common syndrome. It is called "It ain't worth
anything 'til somebody asks about it, then it's worth a fortune" I have had
this happen to me many times. (In vehicles, toy trains, antique telephones,
etc etc) The reaction to an inquiry is based on no known logic. Some people
just like to be in control of a situation. There generally is no actual
intention ever to fix the thing up.

I asked a guy once about a very nice (for its age) International K5 farm
truck. It had set in front of a farm stand for 12 years that I was aware of,
slowly turning back into iron ore. He hemmed about for a few minutes, and
said that it wasn't for sale, because he was going to restore it. The very
next day it was gone! Where did it go? It went out back, out of sight of the
road, and remains there to this day, continuing to rot in private. It has
been 5 years since that conversation. I'm sure in his mind, he "made money"
on the deal, because now he has an inflated idea of it's value, due to my
casual inquiry.

My advice, wait for him to fall off his perch, then approach the widow. She's
probably been nagging him for years to get rid of the pile of stuff out back.
 She will take what you offer. I wish you good health, if for no other
reason than for you to win this war of wills.

a p bloom