Fw: Senate Bill 1416

From: Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 22:26:32 PDT

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Frank Cox <grntrks@juno.com>
To: senator@hutchison.senate.gov
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:49:14 -0500
Subject: Senate Bill 1416

Dear Senator Hutchison,

Senate Bill 1416, Section 1062, the Military Authorization Bill for 2002
is a virtual mirror of legislation previously defeated.The section that
has been introduced into the senate would authorize and enable the
Secretary of Defense to compel "demilitarization" of certain surplus
military rquipment. This provision is a rebirth of Section 361 of
HR4205, defeated last year.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been, nor is there now, any
argument that "old" military equipment LEGALLY in the hands of private
citizens poses a threat of any kind to anyone. I feel the provision is
more of a symbolic gesture for political appeal, particularly in view of
recent events.

Many of these vehicles that would be operationly destroyedare being used
to deliver aid to the citizens of New York and to rally people to blood
donation sites as well as other uses.

These vehicles are excellent reminders of our military history at a time
when all Americans need to join together to oppose a common enemy of us
all.

As a registered voter I respectfully urge you work to remove this section
from the final bill.

Sincerely,

William F. Cox

3832 W FM 917