Re: [MV] Defense bill passes house

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 10:08:29 PDT

Ok list,

The two versions of H.R. 2586 are:

Version One is the bill as introduced to the House. This version includes
Section 921 (the demil text).

Version Two is the bill as reported to the House. This is the Bill that was
passed by the House yesterday. This version does not include Section 921.

This is good.

The Senate Bill(s) still contain the demil text. We all know this Bill will pass
sometime soon. Continue to contact your Senator and the Senators on the Senate
Armed Services Committee. The committee members are:

Democrats

Carl Levin (Michigan) (chair)
        senator@levin.senate.gov

Edward M. Kennedy (MA)
        senator@kennedy.senate.gov
Robert C. Byrd (WV)
        senator_byrd@byrd.senate.gov
Joseph I. Lieberman (CT)
        http://lieberman.senate.gov/
Max Cleland (GA)
        http://www.senate.gov/~cleland/webform.html
Mary L. Landrieu (LA)
        http://landrieu.senate.gov/webform.html
Jack Reed (RI)
        jack@reed.senate.gov
Daniel K. Akaka (HI)
        senator@akaka.senate.gov
Bill Nelson (FL)
        senator@billnelson.senate.gov
E. Benjamin Nelson (NE)
        http://bennelson.senate.gov/email.html
Jean Carnahan (MO)
        senator_carnahan@carnahan.senate.gov
Mark Dayton (MN)
        no E-Mail; (202) 224-3244
Jeff Bingaman (NM)
        senator_bingaman@bingaman.senate.gov

Republicans

John Warner (VA) (ranking minority party member)
        senator@warner.senate.gov

Strom Thurmond (SC)
        senator@thurmond.senate.gov
John McCain (AZ)
        john_mccain@mccain.senate.gov
Bob Smith (NH)
        opinion@smith.senate.gov
James M. Inhofe (OK)
        http://inhofe.senate.gov/webform.html
Rick Santorum (PA)
        http://www.senate.gov/~santorum/#email
Pat Roberts (KS)
        http://www.senate.gov/roberts/email.htm
Wayne Allard (CO)
        http://allard.senate.gov/contactme
Tim Hutchinson (AR)
        senator.hutchinson@hutchinson.senate.gov
Jeff Sessions (AL)
        senator@sessions.senate.gov
Susan M. Collins (ME)
        senator@collins.senate.gov
Jim Bunning (KY)
        jim_bunning@bunning.senate.gov

This committee has already demonstrated their ability to vote along party lines.
Expect a 13/12 vote on any effort to remove the offensive demil text.

Continue to ask your Representative to support the deletion of the demil language
by contacting the Senate Armed Forces Committee members listed above.

Let's keep up the pressure. Hopefully we can have Section 1062 deleted from the
Senate Bill before passage.

When the Senate passes their Bill, both the House version and the Senate version
will then be reconciled by a (yet to be appointed) Joint Committee. Here too we
must be watchful as the demil text can reappear (if previously deleted) in the
final version of the Bill.