Re: [MV] top speed of an M35

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 20:44:26 PDT

>I did remove the "governor" and did not notice that much improvement
>in towing capacity uphill, which is what I was really hoping for.

How does one remove the govenor from an injection pump? Without it a diesel
engine will not idle. Unlike a gas engine which will regulate it's own idle
speed, a diesel will not. I had a VW diesel at my place with such a
problem, the idle hunted from close to killing to like 1500 rpm at about a 3
second interval. Also as far as I recall the govenors function at high rpm
is to start shutting off fuel, in fact you will find that for most pumps the
fuel rate is cut way down by the time you reach your peak RPM. My Perkins
354 for example starts cutting back at something like 2700 yet the max is
3100. But then maybe LD's are different.

je