Diesel Ferrets, other oil burners, and an opportunity

From: Brian Leffler (leffield@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 02:28:22 PDT

Folks,

Although my lack of a checkbook balance will keep me
safe from any near tern damage, I feel myself coming
down with the Ferret bug. As I was surfing through
"Ferret Heaven"I caught a reference to some of these
cool vehicles being retrofitted with diesels? Was
this just a "one off" experiment or are these common?
 What is the availability of the Mk 2/4 or 2/5
variants?

Next diesel question: How many M37's were retrofitted
with the Perkins diesels, or any other? Chuck from
Olive Drab had a nice one for sale a while back but I
don't see much on them.\

Last question: how much air pressure is fed back into
the fuel tanks of M211's and M35's?

While tracing things on one of the trucks the other
day I was at first surprised to find that one of the
lines plumbed into the fuel tank was on the other end
attached to the air line. After some thought this
made sense to me as it would provide a positive
pressure inside the tank while fording as well as
negate the need for a vent to relieve suction vaccuum.
 Now I am curious how much pressure is fed in there.

And now if you have gotten this far: I have a 30,000
lb. Tulsa winch for sale. This a a naval version with
a removable goathead on one end of the main shaft. it
is currently set up for chain drive off a PTO but
Tulsa still makes this model winch and they can be set
up hydraulic+ly. I have to go with the winch approx.
260 feet of 5/8 diameter 6x19 wire rope. This is
undersize from what the winch is capable of as they
are listed with the capacity to hold 312 ft of 3/4
inch cable. I like the winch and have great ideas for
it's employment but I have 2 trucks down and a
non-existant parts budget with a long Vermont winter
looming just over the horizon.

Thanks,

Brian
'52 M211 "Gangreen"