Re: [MV] Buying stuff

From: Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account) (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 02:29:34 PDT

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 05:01:24AM +0100, Richard Notton wrote:

> > Oh, heck, yes bad checks are a bummer, but I've shipped many trucks,
> > as far away as to Wyoming, without any payment. Even supplied clear NJ
> > Titles. Americans are great. I got paid for every truck.
> >
> Which is thankfully more than I ever got for hand-carrying 250UKP worth of
> Ferret/Saracen bits with RR B Range engine parts to the US in Sept 1999.
>
> Americans are not always great. ( stojack@sierranv.net )
>
> Richard
> Southampton - England

I guess I should mention the 600 US dollars (1200 australian dollars) I
paid to a Mr Chuck Haynes of Virginia City, Nevada for a set of Weasel
tracks. After I arranged shipping of these (a huge THANKS! to Gene Pantano,
for the help on getting this organised!) it turned out that Mr Haynes hadn't
even bothered to take them off the Weasel they were on. The seller knew
I had a very tight deadline for moving them, and I believe purposely
delayed and obstructed things to prevent it happening.

It just goes to show that even though someone might be involved in the
same hobby (in this case, Weasels and WW2 jeeps; Mr Haynes was restoring a
slat-grill jeep) it doesn't mean that they are _always_ honest people to
deal with.

Caveat Emptor is the only thing I can say,

Steve Malikoff.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au