Re: [MV] FW: SB1416 - National Defense Authorization Act response from "Se nator Warner"

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 09:29:17 PDT

Hi John,

>I agree. Perhaps I should've elaborated on what
>I was thinking. The point I was trying to make was
>that while email may be quick&easy for us, it doesn't
>quite do the job that we think it might.

OK, I think you might be misunderstanding how this is relevant to our
campaign to get these folks to vote against a piece of legislation.
Email is just fine in this case. What wouldn't be fine is if the
legislation were to go through and some Federal Agency opened some sort
of criminal case against you. In that event you would have to produce
proof that you are John D Doyle before Warner's office could get anything
out of the agency in question. And as I said, that is a fantastic
protection of our rights to privacy.

In other words, sending emails to your reps asking them to oppose
legislation does not require proof that you are who you are. However, my
reps do say they won't act on any emails that do not include a full name
and mailing address. This isn't "proof" that I am who I say I am, but it
is good enough for the practical purposes of voicing an opinion.

So keep sending emails ;-)

Steve