Re: [MV] FW: SB1416 - National Defense Authorization Act response from "Senator Warner"

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 09:34:14 PDT

John,

I received the exact same "canned" response from Senator Warner. I would like
to assume your opposition to Section 1062 was noted on a tally sheet by a member
of his staff.

A letter or FAX may carry a bit more weight than an E-Mail. Generally, an
E-Mail will be better than a phone call. But even a phone call should produce a
tally mark.

We still need to continue to contact the members of the Armed Services
Committees and our own Senators and Representative.

The Conference committee will soon begin work on reconciling the language of the
House version and the Senate versions of the Bill.

The House Bill is number H.R.2586.

The Senate Bill is number S.1419. The original Senate Bill was numbered S.1155,
later changed to S.1416. The Senate apparently divided the bill into three
bills, or at least "reserved" three bill numbers: S.1417; S.1418; and S.1419.
Senate S.1416 evolved into S.1438 which eventually passed the Senate. According
to the Congressional Record, S.1438 was, after passage, again divided into three
bills numbered as above (i.e. S.1417, S.1418, and S.1419). The Senate wouldn't
be trying to confuse us, would they?

The important numbers and titles are:

H.R. 2586 -- National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002
S.1419 -- Department of Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2002

Section 1062 is not in the House Bill. It is in the Senate Bill.

Section 1062 is titled:

"AUTHORITY TO ENSURE DEMILITARIZATION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY EQUIPMENT FORMERLY
OWNED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE"

BTW, I see the MVPA has updated their WebPage regarding S.1416.

Later. Claude

- - - - -