and if we win this one......

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 22:42:34 PDT

Esteemed list members,

Let us assume for the moment that we get 1062 removed for the time being, as
happened last go-round.

We need to take this a step further or we risk having this topic of
conversation come up every year about this time. It is time to ensure that
the language of 1062 gets cleaned up so that it is not so open-ended.
Surely they will include 1062 in some form, sooner or later and it's time we
make it clear that we expect better performance from the folks who write
this crap.

We all know what the problem is with this section, and I personally believe
that their intent is honorable and meant to be harmless to the average
American. But, whatever your beliefs or political leanings are, I think we
all can agree that the law is VERY poorly written which makes it dangerous
to the average Joe (and in fact will make most of us criminals immediately)
and as a group of taxpayers we are not being unreasonable in asking that the
language in 1062 be made more exact. For example, the phrase
(blankety-blank "but not limited to") is highly offensive to most of us
because it is a blank check for any overzealous law enforcement type who
comes along. And that ain't right!

So, if and when you take the time to get in touch with your representatives
(and I use the term "representatives" very loosely) don't forget to ask that
they give us taxpayers our money's worth and rewrite 1062 into a law that is
worthwhile.

By the way I loved the joke about the wall around Afghanistan!

TJ