Mutt problems resolved

From: Jason E. Rose (m151a2@uswest.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 12:57:57 PDT

Hello everyone.

For the past 1.5 months, I've been trying to figure out what was wrong with
my mutt. It idled fine, but every time I stepped on the gas, it would
sputter and sound really lean.

I had many, many people on the list send ideas to me. I replaced the coil,
the distributor, spark plugs, fuel pump, brand new carb, ignition module,
and spark plug wires.

I came to the conclusion it must be a bad valve. That is exactly what it
sounded like. I have a cylinder head enroute to me, and I thought I would
start disassembly of the head.

I took off the intake manifold, and it came off in TWO PIECES. Somehow, it
had become cracked. The #4 cylinder was sucking in air through the crack.

I had a spare intake manifold and replaced it. I got it all back together
and VRROOOM. It runs awesome.

Moral of the story. Sooner or later, you'll figure out what is wrong with
your MV. These things take time and patience.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this.

Jason Rose
Boise, ID
1970 151a2