Re: [MV] metal cleaning

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:48:09 PST

>It works well but I have one big concern doing a crankshaft. I know that
>Hyrogen imbrittlement is a problem with most of the chemical cleaning
>methods and I would assume that using plain old hyrdrochloric (muriatic)
>would also be a problem. For many parts this is not a problem but something
>like a crankshaft, it might be.
>
>What about glass bead blasting, followed by a polish or regrind???
>
>good luck,
>
>je

I have to stay with the standard journal size and it should clean up with a
polish but it's the rest of the crank that needs the rust removed thoroughly
some other way.If there is a way of removing slight rusting on the journals
before I polish then it makes for a better job and easier.The crank was
poorly stored and that was because I got to carried away with other things
so that by the time I got back to the crank it had already started to
rust.My other option was to buy little wire wheels for the dremel but this
isn't the most thorough.
Andre