Re: [MV] why don't engine blocks crack too?

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:53:04 PDT

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Henry,
> It's strictly a mechanical thing. As I explained, the rapid vibration of a diesel can be so violent that millions of low pressure bubbles form at the boundary of the water jacket............... The anti-cavitation additives are intended to increase the coolant's resistance to this by lowering its vapor pressure. It's debateable how effective such additives are. It's always much better to cure the causes of the vibration.

Very true. However, sometimes it is not possible to correct the
vibration without major redesign of the block/cylinder sleve set up. The
frequency with which the sleves in some Caterpillar diesels vibrates
makes them so succeptible to this cavitation problem that it is
absolutely necessary to maintain the proper coolant additive levels or
the sleves will fail in short order. This was told to me by a Cat
mechanic, I do not remember which engine series we were talking about at
the time.

The closer you get back to the mother iron, the less you have to worry
about rust.

True again. For example, riveted iron hull plates of the steamer "GREAT
EASTERN", the first huge ocean going riveted iron liner built in England
in the nineteenth century and lost on a reef in the Faulkland Islands,
can still be seen today protruding above the waves, covered only by
surface rust. Comparable steel ships have long since crumbled into scale....

Regards,
Mel Miller
M725