Re: [MV] RE SB1438--Action needed now.

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:49:30 PDT

Amnon Nissan wrote:

> Here is what I just got back from one of my congressmen:
>
> ===========================
>
> October 17, 2001
>
> Dear Amnon:
>
> Thank you for contacting me regarding demilitarization of surplus
> military equipment. It was good to hear from you, and I appreciate your
> taking the time to contact me about this issue.
SNIP>
  As America bolsters our homeland defense for
> the war on terrorism, we must strike a careful balance between protection
> from legitimate threats and the legal rights of our citizens. Although I
> do not serve on the committee of jurisdiction regarding defense policy,
> you can be sure that I will bear in mind your concerns when the U.S. House
> acts of the defense authorization bill.
>
> As your Congressman, your thoughts and views are very important to me.
> Please continue to contact me about issues that concern you.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bob Etheridge
> Member of Congress

Dear Amnon,

This is the classic machineaide generated reply when the congressman
does not share your view. You notice that he carefully declines to agree
with you by failing to answer your question while chewing up thirty or
so words. Write him back and ask him whether the letter he sent you
means he will support killing the offending provisions or not!

Regards,
Mel Miller
M725