Re: Insurance in CA

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 20:33:01 PDT

Thanks to all the helpful hints people sent in, I was able to get my
CUCV
insured and almost registered. The reason I say almost, is because I
will have
to get it weighed at a weigh station first inspite of the fact that the
original bill
of sale from the government has the weight on it, and of course the
dataplates also have
the weight on it. Turns out that if the state that issues the title,
doesn't transfer the
weight info to the new title, then it doesn't count, and as far as they
are concerned the original
title is just a piece of paper.

The nice lady at the DMV warned us to use up all but an 1/8 of a tank of
gas before
getting it weighed, as well as unloading any other extraneous stuff.

Originaly we called up our insurrance company and asked some questions
with out saying who we were
and thats how we got the original misleading info. After getting the
info and tips from the list
we called them up and said that we wanted to insure a 1987 Chevy c/k
silverado, and they just said fine.
What kind of coverage do you want, and that was that.

One other interesting thing was that when we went to the DMV, they said
they didn't need to see
proof of insurance, but that when we came back to renew, we would need
it. Go figure.

Again, Thanks to all who hellped!!!
Bruce
MVPA 23824