Re: [MV] First time MV painter question

From: Mark Copeland (copeland313@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 20:31:32 PDT

Congratulations on your success! Now, a word of
caution: BE CAREFUL WITH ZYLENE. When using it, wear
a full body suit and respirator. Use it in an open,
well ventilated area (preferably outside). The fumes
are toxic and can seep through clothing. Symptoms of
zylene exposure: light heatedness, shortness of
breath, racing pulse, nausea.

I have firsthand experience with zylene exposure. I
was working at a vocational-technical school in
Orlando. Some painters were using a zylene based
primer to paint a walk-in refrigerator. The fumes got
into the A/C air handler and spread all over the
building. Three of my coworkers went to the hospital,
one had a severe reaction due to her asthma. I got
checked out by the paramedics and I as OK.

If you do have to work with this solvent, please be
careful.

My .02

-- Mark Copeland

--- "F. Brian Mead" <brian@hardscrabblefarm.com>