M35 speedo problem.

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 21:48:21 PDT

I have killed off two speedometers, so far. This is getting old, not to
mention expensive. I installed a NOS speedo cable. Well, a friendly
wrench did. It can only go in one way, I'm told. The speedo end of the
cable has chewed out the speedo recepticle so it doesn't get a grip,
anymore. It kinda appears that the cable is withdrawing away from the
speedo, thereby falling out of the square hole and chewing away. It has
been seated firmly, and it still chews it out.
    Is there some sort of adjustment to be made? The book doesn't say
anything about it. It just says to 'install' it. Big help....
    FYI, this is a Kaiser-Jeep M35A2, from roughly 1965-1968. Ideas?
Thanks. Jim