[MV] Unimogs Pros and Cons

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 16:12:48 PST

>From: "Baker, George - contractor" <grbaker@eastman.com>
>Subject: [MV] Unimogs Pros and Cons
>Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:48:42 -0400
>
>I'm looking at buying a 404 Unimog Radio Truck, I would like to get the
>general conscience of the list on these vehicles.
>
>George R. Baker - E.S.M. Engineer
>Streaming Media Development
>Tele-Optics / Intellithought, Inc
>
>Eastman
>Location: B-284, 2nd Floor
>Phone: 423.229.2914
>Mobile Phone: 423.817.4004
>e-mail: grbaker@eastman.com

Most of the 404's I have seen are in the sixties x military from europe.One
of the most common problems because these things usualy have low miles is
that the fuel pump diapragm dries out and fuel gets dumped into the crank case.
Another is the head packing it in one way or another.Several guys around
here bought units from the Swiss and German armies.The German ones had a bit
more power.A common swap is the Mercedes 2800 dual carb engine or if you
like diesel the 5 cylinder turbo.There is a web site called dieselization on
the diesel conversion for the 404.
All in all they are very low maintenance and for the money that they sell
around here I think they are the best buy going for any truck.Parts aren't
really a problem.
One fellow here got a unit and rigged it up for rock crawling.He blows away
guys in Hummers,$100,000 modified jeeps,and the majority of stuff around.
Andre