References for WWII US/British Walkie Talkies

From: Renactr2@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:28:16 PDT

Hi folks,
Can some one steer me in the direction to pin down some reference material?
I had read that the WWII British radios were incompatable with US radios
because the Brits used Amplitude Modulation and the US had gone to Frequency
Modulation.
A question had come up in another list about British use of of US walkie
talkies.
I had thought that the Brits wouldn't have used them at platoon/section level
due to incompatability and supply issues.
I know the larger Signals posts at Division or higher likely had US radios to
"make the leap".

However, someone on the list found a diary reference to a British Para
strapping on a "walkie talkie" before the jump into Arnhem. I knew there was
the famous failure of the crystals in the new VHF radios the Paras had, but
suspect the reference to walkie talkie may have been a post-war write-up of
his experiances and he uses the term generically, not literally to describe
the US hand held radio.

What IS the nomenclature of the WWII US hand held "Walkie Talkie" and where
can I find the specs for it? I would like to at least determine the freq
range and the modulation format.

MV Content? Well, pretty thin, truthfully, but I have a WS 19 to go in my
bren carrier and we are looking into adapting FRS radios into dead WWII radio
shells. If the US walkie talkie seems to really be what the reference is
citing, it would aid in the communication project.

Please contact me off list with your replies so we don't "radio to death" the
list.
Thanks In Advance.
Jim