Re: [MV] References for WWII US/British Walkie Talkies

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 04:31:40 PDT

Richard hello:

It was very interesting reading your posted information. I enjoyed it
immensley. So much that I probably wont need to buy the two expensive books.

However, it would be nice to see those books too.

During the war, I wonder if both sides would rush captured communication
radios back to some designated field headquarters (or wherever) so they
could be copied and used to gain access to the other sides transmissions. It
would always great to know what the Germans were thinking and vice versa
eh?

Recently, (I aquired an unrestored MB Jeep,
I'm told, It's a very rare USMC Communications Jeep with PTO output pully
besides the driver that operated a belt driven Generator, (next to the
driver) that supplied power for the radios. This (my) jeep had the water
fording kit and special distributor. Also, it has the pigs tail hooks on the
frame horns. At the back are rings for off loading from a ship.

 I'm told that this jeep is a protoype for a later model that went into
production around the late '40s
Mine is totally an early MB . . . all original. I have the MB style two
pane windsheild Whereas, I've seen pictures of the production models which
had the single glass - no divider. I'm also told that there were only approx
1000 models made around late '40s early '50s

I have No information as to what radio were in these jeeps ?

Again, I'm told that there were probably a full compliment of communications
Radios - who knows - including ship to shore ?

Regarding my Reconnaisance jeep, I have found only two guys on the internet
who are currently restoring one of these, each. They have supplied all of
my information.

Anyone who may be able to supply an additional sentence or two would be
greatly appreciated.
Specifically, I'm looking for the older MB and not so much the later
production models . . .although any info would be nice
Thanks again Richard for your informative posting

Regards
Aussie Rob
Upstate NY
A flock of CJ2As and two MB Jeeps.