Jeep CJ-10 Grill / Restoration Dilema

From: BlackBox95@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 19:16:13 PDT

I am knee deep in my second vehicle teardown for my CJ-10 Frame off
restoration
project. I have run into a bit of a dilema. Not much of an issue per se, but
rather a question for the Collectors out there. The second CJ-10 im tearing
down was AMGs prototype model, and lived its last days on the AMG/LTV "Fire
Brigade" - serving double duty as the parking lot Salt-Truck in winters. The
Grill on this prototype is very unique. Not only is it the standard 9 slot
CJ-10 grill, but the center 5 slots are bent like a YJs. Also, its missing the
"Jeep" logo that is stamped above the center 3 slots, below the hoodline. I
plan on keeping the grill as Colletors "Art" to hang in my shop and bring to
shows when i display the '10 as my Tow rig. As far as i can tell only 2 of
these grills were ever made. My dilema is whether i should sand the rust off
and repaint it w/ POR-15 to "retore" it? Or, should i leave it as is for the
whole "rusted and vinatge" look? Which would be more interesting or "valuable"
as far as the Collector aspect goes? I dont plan on ever selling the grill or
the vehicle...and its no strong enough to put back on the rig as it is.. i
could repair it and reinstal it i guess...but id rather not take the risk of
crashing it as i plan on using this rig as a Tow rig for weekend trips ...Not
a major dilema i know, but id just like to hear some opinions both for and
against the ideas?

thanks,
  Box