49th APCR

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 21:40:27 PDT

As some of your know, Hanno Spoelstra and I have kind of adopted the 1st
Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment as our own. Me, because it's right up
my line, Hanno, well, because not only is it Sherman-related, but they
also had a big part in liberating his COUNTRY, and some of them lie
forever in the soil of Holland upon which they fell.

Our website is http://www.1cacr.org; it has the FULL approval of the
veterans and their families. Say no more.

The topic and my questions here are simple. I have recently made solid
contact with the survivors of 1CACR's sister regiment, the British 49th
APCR. They were also in 31 Brigade, 79th Armoured Division, and also
drove Ram Kangaroos. Apparently our "B" Squadron worked extensively with
them as well, in lifting British infantry throughout the latter part of
the war in NW Europe. Nice guys, they are.

Anyway, they had expressed an interest in seeing a bit of THEIR
regimental history online, and I offered to host it as a companion site
to 1CACR (Kangaroos travel in herds!). The deal is done. They provide
the material and I design, implement and host their site as an adjunct
to ours (free of charge, of course!).

What I need right now is a GOOD scan of the 49th APCR badge. It is the
standard Royal Armoured Corps badge with the scroll "FEAR NAUGHT"; I
need the badge to have a King's crown, though. Can anyone help?

And needless to say, if you have any info or photos related to the 49th
(or of any Kangaroos), I would love to see it. Full credit if it's used
online, OF COURSE.

Thanks,

Geoff

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~