Re: [MV] Diesel fueled engine heaters.

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:00:40 PST

>From: kuhrick <kuhrick@home.com>
>>18 wheelers for years used a thiung called a hotshot it was a gas
or fueled waterheater that was tuned on in the moning fefor starting
the diesel i would think like 1/2hr or more or less
in Alaska oil feads thay out a 4 bager gas job on the frame and use the
big diesel as its radiator
>and a large alt. too keep batters charged

Got in touch with them about a month ago Ken.
They were asking $1400 for the small one.
Knocked me over. Guess 90% of the price is for liability insurance.

>From: "Gene Pantano" <truks@cs.quik.com>
>>They are way too dangerous..there is also a electrical heater for the
system, which is much safer. It is plugged in at night like on the Dodge
>diesel vehicles. Gene

Got an electric one Gene. But its no help if there isn't any power available.
There are some places I am where it will get to -20F overnight with no plugin.

>From: "Stu Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net>
>>Hi Ted!
I have most of it. You would have to get me a replacement oil pan and
gasket to get the heater one off my truck. Remember, there was a wood and
foam arctic kit installed in the interior of the truck too. Mine truck came
from Alaska. The heater heated he two batteries, oil pan, truck cab etc.
>Stu Ellis

I'll have to wait till I accumulate extra 6.2/6.5 parts, Stu, before I'm
able to do
a swap/purchase with you on the oil pan, etc.

So far, my motor starts with barely a crank (about a second on the starter)
at 20F so far.
+20F is not very cold to me.

Thanks all of you for the feedback.
Ted Hintopoulos.