Re: [MV] PE95 G Gen Set

From: M35products@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:33:12 PST

In a message dated 10/31/01 1:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ttpete@gatecom.com writes:

<< When you lose
 power, just unplug the meter, plug in the meter base, connect the
 neutral wire to the ground terminal you have put in the meter box, >>

Dear Sir:

I don't know what part of the world you live in, so I may be way off here.
In New York State, where our gold-plated electricity costs $0.25 per KWh, it
is a felony to remove, re-insert, or otherwise mess with the meter, pan,
socket, etc. There is a seal on every meter to indicate if someone has
removed the meter. Licensed electricians must call the utility in the event
that they must, for a bona fide reason, remove and replace the meter. They
are given a clearance number to protect themselves legally. The NEC (National
Electric Code) which is applicable in most states, I believe, also has some
things to say about jury-rigged contraptions of this type. I'm sure that the
local Building Inspector as well as the IBEW, would have a few choice words,
too. If it ain't UL-approved, I would recommend that you don't use it. It
seems much easier and safer to use a commercially-available transfer switch.
It may be dead right now, but how do you know it isn't going to be live
momentarily? Plugging in a gutted meter base, standing in a puddle, in the
midst of a Nor'Easter rather than sending the teenager down to the cellar to
throw the switch seems a little masochistic, if not downright suicidal. apb