Re: [MV] Inner Thrust Washer

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 19:46:14 PST

>> >In the process of trying to replace the front, driver side, axle seals.
>> >There is a part called "Inner Thrust Washer", and it is refusing to come
>> >out. I figured I'll ask if there is a trick to it before breaking
>> >something.
>> >
>> >Is there a trick to getting it out?
>>
>> What kind of vehicle?
>>

>Good one :-)
>
>M35A2

OK then. If I'm thinking of what it is that your saying then your talking
about the steel disk that presses into the open end of the axle housing that
the smaller "axle" seal is pressed into (from the inside), and only visible
after the axle shaft has been removed, right?

There is another part they call a thrust washer but as I understand it that
part is sort of permanently part of the axle shaft and best left alone. But
since your talking about a part not comming out, I'm assuming you mean what
I mentioned first.

If so, I can tell what I encountered. One of mine came out with little
effort using a slide hammer, the other was a dog. I made a puller out of a
piece of flat stock, perhaps 1-1/4"W x 1/2"T x a length just smaller than
the disk diameter. Suitably drill/mill/file an oblong center hole in it
such that you can poke it thru the seal hole at an angle then pull it back
against the disk in the inside. Of course a suitable piece of 1/2-13 B7
threaded rod (4140) is already in this plate with a nut on the inside. Then
make up any old thick bar to go across the opening of the axle case with
another nut and start wrenching. I bent the puller piece but it did come
out. One might suggest a slide hammer but I didn't like what it seemed to
be doing, and given the force necessary to extract this thing I think the
slide hammer would have made a mess of it.

Now to put them back in, rather than just pound on them, although that would
be OK if you used a large bar of brass or AL just smaller than the disk so
your beating on that, I made up another tool. Since I had both sides off I
just made up some thick disks that would center on the seal holder disk
with a 1/2" center hole. Then I ran a peice of that same, but longer, 1/2-13
B7 rod all the way thru the axle and pulled them in simultaniously, worked
very well.

Now if your talking about something else then never mind !

best of luck,

je