Re: [MVlist] RE: [MV] PE95 G Gen Set

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 06:42:27 PST

I'm not getting all of the MV emails for some reason, it doesn't seem to be
consistent, however many are obviously missing.

Yanking meters is obviously not a good idea in the middle of a storm. However
rules vary greatly by state apparently. When I was in Cincinnati, I noticed a
glowing wire in my meter box, I immediately yanked the meter and replaced some
wiring in the box. (Yes, I have an electrical background) I really didn't have
much choice since I didn't want to lose power and/or have the wiring simply
catch on fire. I called the power company immediately after I repaired the
wiring problem and they were very non-chalant about the entire event. I asked
for someone to come re-seal the meter that day and they said, we will make a
note of it and do the reseal in the next few months! It was many months before
they finally resealed the meter.

I've never heard of using an old meter base to "plug into a house" with a
generator. Certainly it would work if the wiring was proper, however I wouldn't
recommend doing that unless you were very proficient electrically. Backfeeding
a power line can kill a lineman and a charge of manslaughter and all of the
ramifications is very serious stuff.

Be careful out there.

Dave