Wrecker Question

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 05:35:12 PST

List Members (Especially, Wrecker Owners)

Over the years, I have noticed that some wreckers (M543 and M816, and
probably M62) have had the spades mounted on top of the boom. I wonder if
anyone knows how this is done? I haven't been able to find an example parked
at any of the local Guard or Reserve bases, so I can't check it out
personally. By the way, the spades that I am referring to are the
approximately 8' long by about 3" diameter metal tubes with the flared ends
that are intended to be used as braces to keep the vehicle from being pulled
backward when a heavy load is being pulled with the rear winch. My M816
wrecker came with these spades, but they are just laying on the deck.
Actually, that is where the TM says that they are supposed to be stored, but
they take up a lot of space, and there isn't all that much space to begin
with. Storing them on the top of the boom seems like a good way to keep them
handy, yet also keep them out of the way. Any suggestions?

John

John Hutterer
Sen. Eng. Lab. Tech.
Deltec Inc.