Re: [MV] [MVlist] M38 & "real speed".

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 04:57:51 PST

A small digital tachometer would be helpful in tuning the engine. Valves
can float too in a flat-head engine. Timing might be correct but vacuum
and centrifugal advance could be messed up for any number of reasons. This
could lead to a problem achieving top speed on level ground, as opposed to
launching down a hill and attaining a higher top speed. Fuel delivery via
weak pump or clogged filters. Plugged up intake or exhaust. Missing at
40mph is a clue that something specific is wrong- plugged carb jets or
weak coil. Do you get a genuine *blue* spark?

>Mine will only do 40 mph in 3rd on flat ground.
>However: it does have a civ distributor.
>I just replaced plugs, points, wires, cap, bug.

>It starts to miss at 40 mph, like the points are floating, but.... New
>points.
>It does the same in all gear ranges, but runs well otherwise.

> Suggestions?

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com