Lazy MULE clutch

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 17:00:59 PST

Hi all,

I recently did a fairly extensive overhaul of a M274A2 MULE. There were
too many problems to list, but I got everything all sorted out and put
back together again. The lifters appear to be sticking a little, but my
main concern is that the clutch is apparently not fully
engaging/disengaging. This did not appear to be a problem before I took
everything about, so I am wondering what might have happened to change
things.

Symptoms - When I start 'er up, I push the clutch in all the way and then
attempt to shift. I get a high speed gear grinding. I found that if I
took the range shifter and moved it back and forth a bit while pumping
the clutch I could get the thing in gear without further troubles. After
that I can shift gears without grinding. But if I come to a halt for a
little while I risk getting the gear grinding again, but it doesn't
always happen. Also, when I go to slow down, fully depressing the clutch
peddle does not necessarily disengage the drive. So I have to pull it
out of gear and hit the brake.

Clutch itself looked in fantastic shape and I didn't (intentionally at
least!) mess with it when the engine was off. However, I did lube things
up with some Kroll. I also cranked the clutch peddle linkage so there is
now zero slack, which did appear to help a bit.

Does anybody have some suggestions about what might be at the heart of
the problem here?

Steve