Re: [MV] Hooking up a generator

From: Ed Kirkley (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 06:22:49 PST

If you buy a double pole, double throw transfer switch for around $280.00
and install it you will have no problems what so ever. Take the meter out
of the base, run the wires going from the house side of the meter to the
switches "out" side, run new wires from the generator to one of the "in"
sides of the switch and new wires from the "out" side of the meter to the
other "in" side of the switch and you're set. I have had this set up on my
10KW military generator for six years now and have never had a problem. The
electric company was called and they came out the next week and put a new
seal on my meter. It runs the entire house and runs it very well. When the
switch is in the generator mode all power is cut off from the power
companies lines so no one can get hurt. It's safe, it's approved and it
works.

My two cents worth.

Ed Kirkley KG4OUJ
MVPA 18977