Re: [MV] Hooking up a generator

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 06:42:16 PST

Hello, I was going to let this thread die but I just had to write in once
more.

First a reply snip below from what Mr Foley wrote;
Snip
ALL neutrals and grounds are connected at the main
panel, read it in the National Electrical Code!!

Rob Writes in reply
Yes Correct.
 Every house I have ever lived in here in the USA and Australia are wired
this way
Your nuetral is also run to the ground inside your box
They also run together to ground at the tranformer on the street pole.
Then back at the substation nuetral and ground are connected.

Mr Foley writes
BACKFEEDING anything is dangerous, don't do it!!

Rob writes. I don't know of anybody on the list who "so far" has suggested
that they will feed the street and their neighbors.

I worked some 30 years ago for the railway We had 240volt substations and
transformers while the elctric train ran at 1500 DC When either voltage got
loos it would make a real mess of the switchgear ..especially the 1500
volts DC.
However We NEVER EVER worked on ANY power lines without FIRST installing a
grounded clamp across the incoming and outgoing power wires.

If we wre working on a ploe transformer The power was first turned off
(possibly, this might be a mile down the road, or wherever?)

Now for our safety we would apply a ground clamp to the incoming power line
(now dead) Next we would apply another heavy duty ground clamp to the out
going side which would feed the next 10 or 15 houses !
This would protect us from any home generators that would be brought
"online" It never happened.
A second point here Most of us have those portable generators probably 3000
watt to 10'000 watt
Now during a power failure here is what happens.
Lets say that somehow you inadvertantly connected your generator out
tthrough you box and onto the street.

Every one of the 10 or so houses are still connected to the samew lines (on
your street)
Every frig and freezer upon startup will draw a huge load possibly 15 plus
amps each.
Every or most homes have a fridge and freezer ...therefore at a rough
guess that is at ;east 30 multiplied by at least 10 houses which equals at
least 300amps Now add ALL the lights that are turned on for 10 or so
houses maybe add another 50amps to the total
Next add, all the elctric water heater elements at 15 amps each house thats
another and add the electric stoves and televuisions etc., etc,

Guys when your generator backfeeds to the street with its two 15 or 20 amp
breakers that load from the street requires approx 500 to 600 amps at the
initial power "on" status from your generator.
If your breakers failed to trip on that little geneartor of yours then the 5
to 10 HP motor would die instantly .
Absolutely instantly

Now remember the guy 500 yards down the street has a ground clamp on your
street lines too Thats called "a dead short"
Back feed deaths caused by home generators do "not" exist. Important words
there were Backfeeding"

 Our last two line man deaths were cause by mother natures lighting bolts
which have SO much energy that the ground clamps were melted of the line
including the lineman
You do NOT hear of our thousands upon thousands of linemen being electructed
because it is very very rare.

Mr Foley writes Snip.
But if you want to burn the house down and electrocute
the kids,..... that's YOUR business.

I absolutely see NO relationship with the above statement.

Mr Foley writes unfounded word that at best IMPLY that if you backfedd this
will somehow cause enough amps to flow from somewhere in your house to
overheat "something" and burn the house or electrocute my kids

Mr foley; There is no relationship based on fact . Do you mean If a person
somehow back feeds then his house will burn.
and just how would these kids become fried Would grandma go poof also, What
about the cat.

Mr foley, each one of us on this message board will use our knowledge and
experiences to help us get through each day safely and alive.

It would appear that you have no basic idea of electricity and my judgement
is based from your statements

Finally if we the readers don't get the message about the house and kids. .
. then, there is another very scary sentence. that sends a more horrific
note!

That is, while the kids fry and or the house burns "Nobody" can get an
ambulance to these emegencies !

Mr Foley writes
Snip
Think of this: Do you really want to have either of
those happen during an emergency situation when the
fire trucks and ambulances are not available?

Rob writes
Just when would they "not" be available ?
I think at any given moment in time from NY City right down to Anytown -
Smalltown USA there might be a time when all the emergency vehicles are at
emergencies other than when we connect our generators

Please accept any apology for my writing is not meant to question Mr.
Foley's ability with his military vehicles and such
However, I am only 2 years old in my MV collecting and rebuilding of jeeps.
I know very little ...however, I too learn something new every single day.
I will always ask this group questions However, I would respectfully ask
that My MV buddies only impart their knowledge which is factual or at least
"their" ecperiences. ...and not at all anything that is hearsay.

I feel that sometimes statments are made which have no solid basis
I posted an earlier statement regarding what I did during an 17 power
outage - emegency (removed my elect., meter) when needing to power my house.
Three of my neighbors ran generators too that day. We all still have our
houses and (unfortnately) our children

Best regards to the list and no personal greivences with Mr foley.
I would welcome his MV input anytime.
Rob Pearson
Two, MB Jeeps and some CJ2As

Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Hooking up a generator

Another lister writes his experiences below.