Breakfast with the Boss

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 08:35:32 PST

Yesterday I had the unique honor and privilege to attend the "Breakfast with the Boss" program sponsored by the National Guard and Army Reserve here in St Louis. It is a program to enlighten the employers of NG and Reserve members.

We were picked up sharp at 08:00 by a nice late model 5 ton cargo and transported to the Base some 15 miles away while a supply and support units were in the field, deployed and in operation. After an orientation meeting, address by the battalion commander, other officers including a General....... we were shown and demonstrated all the vehicles and equipment used by the unit including small arms.

We then went out into the field where the units were deployed and shown the defensive positions, command HQ W/command staff and were given a sitrep. They were preparing for the defensive  parameter to be probed by OPFOF  units that night.......Afterwards we were transported to the airfield and boarded Blackhawks!!!!!!! A great 30 minute flight followed...very cool! Vehicles were made available for anyone to test drive cross country......

Now lunch with the troops...MREs....your choice! Then more tours of supply, maintenance, and the bivouac area....I have never seen more camo nets in the field...they covered everything......

What a day...from 9 to 3.....lots of things to see and do......and the weather was perfect........I now know I must have a ring mount for my M35......after playing with theirs.......with a WWII Kelsey Hayes M2HB...we were also shown a origional Colt M2HB on a M3 Tripod as well.......alas...not registered and never to be owned by anyone outside the US Army...too bad..Nice WWII production weapons..

Looking forward to next year......

Jon