Re: [MV] Vehicle/Trailer Mounted Generators

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 03:14:00 PST

In <list-1351399@skylee.com>, on 11/06/01
   at 06:14 AM, INDUSTELE@aol.com said:

>As a neat alternate to a generator mounted in a trailer, do like we have
>done to a couple of our pole line construction trucks. You can get from
>Northern Equipment and several other sources a BELT DRIVEN generator, in
>other words - without a motor.

Gens WITH a motor often rely on the crankshaft to support the front of the
gen armature. So if you toss the motor you have to support the armature.
If the motor is toast, such as full of rain for a few years etc, I'm
guessing you could torch away the engine block but leave the rear crank
bearing and its support. Then you would have to supply a small circulating
oil supply for that bearing, or maybe just a grease zerk and constant
hovering with grease gun in hand.

Also you would have to turn the crank to accept a coupling or pully.

>Tom Campbell

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com