M35A2 Brake problems ( STILL )

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 05:54:43 PST

    Still have high spots on the NOS shoes with drag on wheels.

    I have been told that I have to have the NOS brake shoes that I bought
for my truck, "Cam ground" to match the drums of each wheel and thus stop
the dragging. I am new to playing with big stuff. The manuals do not mention
this step. I would think if you had your old shoes "relined" that this would
be necessary since it would be a generic lining material, but factory
manufactured,vehicle specific, for field replacement, issue parts? Cam
grinding appears to require the drums to be separated from the hubs, or risk
damage to the bearing cones, and then keeping the pads and drums together
after grinding. Also, no mention is made of trailing or leading shoes in the
manuals, and they do not appear to be different. Are they?
    Another suggestion said that since I had about half of the original meat
left on the removed pads, the replacement pads are too thick because the
drums have not worn down enough (17k original miles). I do not think the
drums wear appreciably as long as you have lining to wear off, but becomes a
different issue if you have the backing plates rubbing metal to metal.
    At this point, I am leaning toward a right angle grinder to take off the
high spots on these shoes ( or some C4). What an aggravating pain in the A**
this "straight forward" seal job has become.
    How does that old saw go? When your up to your ass in alligators, it's
difficult to remember the original goal was to just drain the swamp.

Opinions?
Ron