Re: [MV] M35A2 Brake problems ( STILL )

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 06:14:44 PST

In <list-1360389@skylee.com>, on 11/08/01
   at 09:14 AM, "Ron" <rojoha@mediaone.net> said:

> Still have high spots on the NOS shoes with drag on wheels.

> I have been told that I have to have the NOS brake shoes that I
>bought for my truck, "Cam ground" to match the drums of each wheel and
>thus stop the dragging.

Whoa, you do not want to be grinding ANY sort of brake lining material
yourself at home. If it does NOT contain asbestos it will indeed be too
hard to grind easily anyway- sintered metallic, carbon fibred, etc.

My vote would be to just wear down the new linings by judicious, but
frequent use, keeping in mind that you won't have 'full braking power' for
some time. So do it off road somewhere and be sure the emergency brake
works 100%. Or just pussyfoot around with a light load (empty chassis?).
With an empty chassis I'd guess your new brakes would have more than
enough power to lock the rears.

Logically, another approach would be to re-line only ONE axle at a time so
as to minimize the impact.

Be advised my comments are not based on M35 usage, yet. But didn't you
really want to have a reason to drive around on an empty chassis. 8-)

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com