Re: [MV] Multifuel compressor pulley slipping

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 17:24:00 PST

Darn right, it sounds familiar! I had to tighten the belt so tight that I
feared shearing it off. I think I understand the problem. See if you
agree.... The belt I used is a NAPA cross number, as listed on one of the M35
pages. It is too short. Being too short, the pulley halves have to be screwed
apart very far. This does two things. First, the clamping action doesn't work
very well. The metal distortion due to tightening the bolts doesn't grab
against the hub part. Second, the belt is orbiting so close in to the axis
that only a portion of the belt is actually catching on the pulley faces.
Check to see if you see uniform coloring on the sides of the belt. I bet you
won't. Part of my belt dangles down between the pulley faces. It squeals.
    Are you using a military belt or a cross referenced belt? Jim