M37 idle & road speed problem

From: Mike Pilcher (candlewickjeep2@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 20:27:54 PST

Esteemed list, please advise!

I had a carburetor kit put in my M37s carb when I first restored the
truck. I have lived with an ongoing problem due to a variety of reasons
that I won't go into here.

At idle the truck will run for about 2 minutes and then go dead.
Usually it re-starts when I pull the choke out and give it gas.

At other times it would act flooded. This usually happens when it has
been at normal operating temperature for a while. It doesn't want to
idle at all when it's warm. When this happens I leave the choke in
and mash the accelerator to the floor.

These sound like 2 different problems to me.

Finally, when I am traveling at road speed it will start to spit and
sputter and act like it wants to go dead. This usually happens about
every 15 minutes of travel time. I can usually help it recover by
pulling out the choke, let it smooth out, and push the choke back in.

I might add that the truck runs best when the choke is pulled out abut
1/4 inch.

I've been advised:

1.It's running too lean.
2.It's running too rich.
3.A pulled out choke required for optimum performance implies something
clogged up in carburetor.
4.Fuel filter clogged.
5.Float is too high in bowl.

Any of these sound reasoable?
Please send a little knowledge my way. I'm ready to get this ongoing
problem straightened out.

Thanks in advance
Mike Pilcher