MEP-004 Gen Set

From: Mark Ehle (EhleM@catc.k12.mi.us)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 07:38:06 PST

Hello, All -

After our recent bout here in South-Western Michigan with tornados and the subsequent loss of power, my wife and I are looking to get a standby generator, somewhere in the neighborhood of 15KW.

I, being a OD fan, would like to solve the problem with a military generator of some kind, and have become curious about the MEP-004-A. I've seen a few on eBay and done some research of the online maintenance manuals. They look like they could do a fine job, but I have a few concerns, and before expend a lot of energy trying to sell my wife on one, who wants a wimpy but pricy little civilian model, I need to know a few things.

1) Will it supply 120/240? I looked at the specs, and it looks like 120/208. Will this work? Has anyone used one of these for a house?

2) Is it loud? Can it be muffled?

3) Is there another model to look for that would do a better job? (bear in mind, I want big and green with lots of dials, buttons, and gizmos!)

3) I know of a surplus yard in Alabama that will sell me one for $2500 (the same folks that now have one on eBay). They seem to be nice guys, but are there any ones closer to Michigan? Who's got 'em?

Thanks for your time, guys!

Mark Ehle
'70 AMG M35A2
Dowling, MI