Wanted: Battery Guru's

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 08:40:34 PST

List,

I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about battery charging
methods.

I am in a position where I want to be able to charge the batteries in
several (20+) vehicles that have to sit outside all winter, in Minnesota.
There is no opportunity to actually drive the vehicles. Some are trucks,
with two 6TL's. Some are trucks, with four 6TL's. Some are armored vehicles,
with six 6TL's. All have slave receptacles, and all are 24 volt systems.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing.

I have a 28volt DC generator, rated at 3 KW (105 amps maximum).
I plan to connect four slave cables to the output of the generator and plug
a cable into each of four vehicles. I'm hoping that the output from the
generator will be approximately evenly divided among the various vehicle
battery systems. If this is true, then no vehicle should receive more than
about 25 amps of charging current. It seems to me that this system should be
capable of keeping the batteries active, and charged, over the winter. I
expect to run the charger on each group of 4 vehicles for a period of an
hour, and then move on to the next group.

Any comments or suggestions?

TIA,

John

John Hutterer