Re: [MV] WWII Russian 5-ton trucks?

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 16:04:00 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <CVRFOX@aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 7:55 AM
Subject: [MV] WWII Russian 5-ton trucks?

> Seeking info on WWII era Russian trucks heavier than 2.5 tons. And NOT
> lend-lease.Who knows what the Soviets were using early, in 1941?

Very difficult to be wholly accurate as I suspect anything that ran was
pressed into service. On this tack you will see Dunkirk pictures of British
trucks still with commercial sign writing, to alleviate expenses with the
appeasement policy in force, the British govt set up a scheme through the
30's where commercial trucks, and they were often identical to Army types,
would be maintained to a loose mil spec and available on demand to be
impressed. The owners were paid quite well to join the scheme.

For Russian types referring to the New Testament (WWII) of the Vanderveen
Bible we have:
ZIS-5 ('33-'41) 3 ton, Ural-ZIS-5 ('44-'55) 3 ton, JAG 6 ('36-'42) 5 ton,
ZIS-32 ('41) 2.5 ton, ZIS 6 ('34-'41) 2.5 ton, JAG 12 ('32-'41) 12 ton, JAG
10 ('32-34) 8 ton.

Note ZIS, (Zavod Imeny Stalin) was formerly AMO and changed again in 1950 to
ZIL. The other recognised designations refer to the plant location and
vehicle type so it is possible to have apparently the same vehicle but with
a wholly different designation depending where the factory was located.

Richard
Southampton - England