Re: [MV] Virus

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 11:56:59 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <wwd@netheaven.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Virus

> I'm curious why you must accept attachments automatically to complete your
> tasks. Why not detach manually from email received from a co-worker, say,
> who routinely sends you desired attachments? Takes me one second to do
> this and the attachment pops into my 'attachment folder'.

I can't see why all the fuss. Why denigrate Outlook Express and Explorer,
sure we all like to take a pop at MS, but.

Is it idleness that has people set their e-mail client to auto open ? I
have no virus protection software but just look closely at the fileneme OE
provides me with the attachment, if its not a picture that displays at the
end of the email then its a certain for deletion, things with .pif, .exe,
.vbs, .scr, .lnk, .inf, .com and the like are a dead give-away. OE also has
a perfectly good block sender and delete all emails facility. Known friends
that send an exe file I respond to first before opening as to the nature of
it.

OE 6 and IE 6 are available for free on the MS web site and quite robust.

Richard
Southampton - England