Re: [MV] Seat cover installation / Virus Prevention

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 08:24:53 PST

Neil,
Prepare yourself for hours of aggravation and four letter words, mainly when
it comes to the installation of the passenger seat covers. As to the driver's
side, slide the seat forward. Under the front of the bottom cushion there are
two height adjusters, usually held on by Phillips head screws. Take one of
these off. Sometimes you can only loosen one out of the four screws. In this
case, take out the one you can and pry the adjuster sideways so it clears
the pin. Lift the bottom off of the frame. Now get a deep 1/2" socket and take
off the two self-locking nuts that are located to the rear. There are two
bolts
on the front of the track. Take these off, then you can lift the frame and
back
cushion off of the base. You'll have to deal with six screws that hold the
seat
back to the frame. After you remove the cushion, check to see if the top of
the seat frame can be easily slid up and down. If not, tap it out, wire brush
it and apply lube or NeverSieze. After you install the new seat back cushion,
you will
have to take a finger and rub around until you find the holes where the screws
go. Poke a hole with an awl, then open it up some with a Phillips head screw
driver. If your passenger seat bottom is held on with rope, as it should be,
draw a sketch of how the rope is strung. Sort of like the way shoes are laced.
I have encountered stapled on covers. I use parachute cord since you don't
get anything with the new covers and the old line is rotted and often broke.
Be careful not to tear threads out while installing the passenger seat covers,
especially the bottom. If the "horse hair" is shot, or thin, I fill the areas
in and
cover with burlap sand bags.
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com