Re: [MV] how does multifuel work?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 16:12:02 PST

In a message dated 11/28/01 3:49:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
specwar@piace.com writes:

<< the compensator somehow determines
 the viscosity of the fuel and adjusts it with crank case oil (no
 kidding) since there are few fuels thicker than diesel, you wouldn't
 have to worry about adjusting for a thicker fuel. >>

I believe you are misinformed about this. Based on changing several
injection pumps, changing several density compensators, reading several TM's
(TM 9-2910-226-34 being the best on the injection system) and MOS study
references I can find no relationship whatsoever between the density
compensator and crankcase oil. In fact, other than by splash (sling) the
compensator is not even lubricated!
The fuel density compensator regulates the fuel supply to the rest of the
pump at 20-21 pounds with a pressure regulator valve, which is adjusted by
shims. The governor fulcrum lever travel is regulated by the stop plate,
which is controlled by fuel pressure drop across the inlet housing diaphragm.
 This pressure is set by adjustment of the servo pressure valve. The
military considers, and always has, the fuel density compensator to be
unrepairable...when one fails it is replaced.

Also, as I stated earlier all Multifuels don't have fuel density compensators
the LDS-427, the first engine of the Multifuel series, had no compensator at
all, yet burn diesel, gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel just like their later,
compensated brothers.

Hope this helps,
David