Virus Alert!!

From: military-radio-guy@juno.com
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 17:36:10 PST

Experted from:
Military Collector Group Post (Nov.29/2001)

Virus Alert!
        I don't usually make virus alerts, but this one is true, and it has
infected a number of our members as well as some on the MV reflector.
Though it's reported that it is a worm, and that it send's out a message
with an RE: & plank subject line to everybody in the victims address
book, this isn't quite true. Though it may also send messages to all the
addresses contained in an address book, most of those that I have
received came from the victims "In Box" & had subject lines that read
like RE: Military Collector Group Post (Nov.30/2001), with no text in the
message. So it's easy to get fooled. In addition, this virus places an
underline at the beginning of the sender's email address as a feeble
attempt to mask it's origin.
        As Juno's software is not based on a Microsoft product(which most of
these viruses are designed to infiltrate) I personally have not been
infected, nor anyone that is also using Juno. BUT, everybody that is
infected, and is also either a MV, or MCGP member, has defentaly infected
other members of these groups. I/E, If you were infected--each MCGP
member is sent his issue along with 50 others(7 in all), if you did not
delete, or move a MCGP issue from your In Box to another folder, then you
have sent infections to 50 other members.

>From Bob Nickels <ranickel@mwci.net> : It was a $#%@$% virus that got
past my McAfee scanning software. I've now installed the latest Norton
Anti Virus and it's doing the job.

Note, Bob has not been a member for over a year. His tainted message was
sent to me as a result of having an old MCGP issue in his In Box.
------------------
From Bob <n0ntc@train.missouri.org>
Found out about virus; BADTRANS is a worm-type, gets into E-mail and
sendsbogus message to everyone on address list to spread itself. Had to
buy
Norton version 2002 to find it.
-------------------
See: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.html
I got it twice today from people I don't know with just "re:" in the
subject
line and an attached txt file supposedly with 0 bytes in it but it really
had "me_nude.scr" hidden, (and you wouldn't want to see me nude anyway!)
Have fun, Colin
Ebay Fraud?
        This week an item was brought to my attention that was being offered on
Ebay. Though totally false claims for the significance of an item of
equipment are typically made by many sellers on Ebay to imply undue
glorification. Like "MILITARY RADIO-AN/PRC-15 FOR AIRBORNE FORCES". The
subject of this particular announcement boarders on pure fraud. BTW, the
Ebay/PRC-15 in this case is just an actual example of false
embellishment. Actually, it was simply an early experimental radio that
was never put into production, never saw any service, and was never
intended to see any use. It was simply a feasibility study to see if
technology had advanced enough to consider the replacement of the PRC-6.
        The subject item in question was a French/Iraqi TRC-570, and it was
being sold by a Jay Frye aka Ebay ID jwfrye located in Arizona. I made an
enquiry with Mr Frye & was presented with several lies which served to
convince me that an announcement was in order.
        Of significance to us is the fact that the description of this radio was
taken word-for-word directly from an article that appears on Ben Azari's
web site that was originally written by myself. But most significant is
that the picture used to depict this radio was also taken from Ben's
site, and was in fact of a radio that belongs to one of our members(who
called it to my attention). I/E the text & picture used to describe this
radio were totally false. The wining bidder was not one of our members so
I don't know how this will turn out for him, but the seller is still in
business. So use caution, and pass the word!

              Dennis Starks; Collector/Historian
        Midwest Military Communications Museum
         Box 95, Cross Timbers Mo. 65634 USA
Editor & Sponsor of the "Military Collector Group Post"
              email: military-radio-guy@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.